Monday, 24 March 2014

Beekeeping for Absolute Beginners!

Last weekend I attended my first course... Beekeeping for Absolute Beginners, which was organised by the Winchester and District Beekeepers Association (WDBKA) in Itchen Abbas Villiage Hall. It was great. Truly for beginners like me where the only thing I know about bees are that they make a buzzing sound! It was classroom based and we had five members of the WDBKA who each told us about a different part of beekeeping: introduction, anatomy, equipment and location, inspection and problems. Everyone was really friendly, particularly the beekeepers who didn't mind how many questions we asked. It was great to handle the hives/frames (no bees of course!) and learn about how a colony is structured and how it works. The bees' remarkable anatomy is completely different to ours. We had the opportunity to book onto an apiary visit in April. It will be great to see some bees for real and I'm really looking forward to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment